Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day Three - September 5, 2009

From: martha
To: Family
Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2009 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: a road map for september

I'm appreciating the wifi connection on the 9th floor while Dennis and Stefan are with Reid.

We've been waiting all day, still no lab report to begin movement, although they are going to put in a "pic" line (central line high on his arm that will allow blood draws, iv fluids and chemo all without further sticks). It's all about preparation right now.
Jarrett and Daria have been here most of the day. They are incredible. Period. A huge source of groundedness and love. Beth has been making sure I eat and herding me from time to time, which is okay for now. I then herd Reid - gently.

Today I met Duff, the OSHU social worker. We started a short list of concerns I have and a direction for that sort of support. (Reid's school status - a letter to financial aid to hold/defer his grant $, insurance questons, that sort of stuff).

Knowing that this map/plan is coming together has offered a sense of relief. I panicked last night - wondering how Reid and I were going to weather this alone. That sense of alone has fallen away. I know the next few days will be intense, and I have a sense that there may get to be a rhythm - weird, but something like a pattern. One phase at a time.

I'm looking forward seeing what the map says. In particular, I'm hoping to get home to the girls toward week's end - but won't commit to that until I have a sense of who all is going to be here. Pete will trade out with me, by the way - so he can be counted as one of the "two."
love to all,
Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment